Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!

Crack-down on Fansubs [Updated]

Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Crack-down on Fansubs [Updated]

Post by Kyouri Kai on Sun 10 Aug 2008, 8:59 pm

Recently Dattebayo, the funsub group for Bleach and Naruto, posted a poll asking some serious questions. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] In a subsequent release, Dattebayo explained they would be attending Otakon over this past weekend and would be holding an open session and talks on the world of fansubbing. While Dattebayo has never out-and-out said anything directly, it does appear that the world of fansubbing, especially for the fans that download the subbed anime, may be changing.

Dattebayo asks if fans may be willing to pay for downloads and offers two different dollar amounts. It's not like they haven't complained for aeons about the fans that upload the Dattebayo subs to places such as Veoh and YouTube and then openly display those streams for the world at large. It has become even clearer now just how much posting subbed anime may end up costing the fans.. in both senses.

While we upload subbed anime from various groups, the anime is not posted to sites that are set to full public access, and those that wish to view the streams must become a free member of A~D. Not saying this is at all the way to go, but it is far better than the alternative for us small forums.

Posted in a news article, Gonzo, a major anime company in Japan, has now struck a deal with Crunchyroll. Gonzo will sub their anime, which includes Blassreiter, The Tower of Druaga, and other anime, along with a producer of such anime like Rosario+Vampire, and post it directly to YouTube, BOST TV, and Crunchyroll as 'official' releases. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. If one wishes to download an episode from Crunchyroll, then a small donation is required... per episode, as far I can tell.

What does this possibly mean for us fans that can't wait for, and refuse to watch, the American dubbed versions? Again, it appears that our world of watching subbed anime may end up becoming much smaller and lend itself back to the underground, where finding free releases will become much more difficult.

None of this is written in stone, but it is something that is possible, and at this point, very plausible.

Last edited by Kyouri on Sat 16 Aug 2008, 10:24 am; edited 2 times in total

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    sharingan09
    hachi'dan
    hachi'dan

Re: Crack-down on Fansubs [Updated]

Post by sharingan09 on Mon 11 Aug 2008, 2:54 am

Oh man that sucks >< it couldnt cost Dattebayo that much to sub anime could it?
    *TsuBasa*
    S-Class
    S-Class

Post by *TsuBasa* on Mon 11 Aug 2008, 4:02 am

Oh, my, you have definitely struck a sensitive topic there, kyo.
    I personally haven't watched any subbed bleach in a real long while---a loooong while. i'm months behind...

but i am a fan of subbed anime (as are all of us--from one fansub group or another) and i've always tried finding ways of avoiding pirate guilt. This is one reason why I rarely read american anime magazines. They hate on fansubs with a passion, always finding ways to justify buying dubbed anime. For example, saying that even those in japan have to pay for the cable channels which anime airs...I tend to feel really guilty for not contributing profits to the creators. I have recently started buying XxxHolic dubbed because, well--i just love the series and it comes subbed as well--and actually...it sounds pretty good dubbed. *SHOCK* (though i found that out by *wince* downloading a dubbed episode >.< )

But I just don't know what to say to this. I know the distribution of pirated anime is illegal...and i suppose i have to admit we're cheating the companies and creators of their profits...but...i don't like dubbed usually. i prefer subbed, and i love that it's subbed by fans. And you're right, what we do is far better than what others do, and i suppose while we remain a somewhat small community we'll be ok. But it is a problem, a problem I wish could find some guilt-free answers.
    What I've done in the past with anime (as well as manga) is read/watch downloaded scans and fansubs and if i really like it i try to buy it once it's available and licensed. Not much of a solution, i guess i just want it both ways.

I do remember hearing that crunchyroll was newly made legal. So strange.

What can we sub-lovers do?
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Post by Kyouri Kai on Mon 11 Aug 2008, 10:21 am

@ Shar... Dattebayo has never complained about the money.. something I completely admire them for. They do it because they love doing it. However, with so many people posting the anime.. that has Dattebayo written all over the screen opening.. it is causing the community a great deal of issues in being shut-down and/or prosecuted for their illegal subbing and distribution of the anime.

I have also felt a bit guilty about getting our anime for free, and even kick myself at times when I grow impatient for the next late release, or if no one is subbing a particular anime. But I'm sort of caught between the cross-hairs, as while I do understand the plight of the fansubbing community, I also feel the plight of the fans. I'm really tired of everything being all about money. There's no reason why it costs money to download an episode all because it's been made 'official' that you can do so. That's what donations are for, and companies like Dattebayo and Crunchyroll would have no problems in gaining funds that way. However, Crunchyroll has just received over 4 million $ .. sooo.. yea.. what exactly are the fans paying for when they download an episode? And what about the fans that watch more than just one anime a week?

I also understand that it costs the producers money in creating the anime just so it can air on television, but really.. how much money are they losing through fansubs? I think it's time the American companies woke up and realised that their over zealous censoring and shoddy voice-overs are what's causing American's to go to fansubbed anime... and stop blaming it on the fans and the fansub groups.

Not so sure, but I don't recall reading anywhere about how the actual citizens of Japan feel about the fansub groups. I am under the impression that most of the anime we see subbed comes from people living in Japan in the first place.

Finally, like TsuBasa said, if an anime is really that good, most people will end up purchasing the releases once they become licensed in the states, anyway.. if they become licensed. And more than likely, only if the disks also include subtitles. So how much money will the companies begin losing if fansubbing goes underground to the point that most Americans have no idea what anime is out there? If they don't know, they won't buy.

*EDIT
    Well.. I went and added an Amazon.com Unbox Video Widget to the portal page in order to help show at least a modicum of support for the creators of our beloved anime.. I could not care less about the American licensing corporations.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Fans Killing the Fansub Industry

Post by Kyouri Kai on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 11:33 am

Feeling the major slow-down in anime releases this week, mainly due to no episodes, I went on a hunt for Blade of the Immortal. The first two episodes were subbed by KSN-AEN, so I went directly to the KSN site and found the following information:

"1st we got our website suspended.

2nd our ftp deleted / after a few days we received a back-up .tar.gz … but all “copyrighted content” including scripts were gone … raw too (so we kinda loosed all) … we bought a new host and transferred our domain to another company … (of course with the help of our biggest donation 22$ from xXKyoXx)

3rd we received an email from FunANIMATION… |made us Drop “Hitman Reborn”|

4th Kesenai Subs change his name to Kesenai NETWORK …. and we started working on the Network websites(including fansubing website)

5th We started working on Tokyo Majin Season2 eps1 - 8 (DVDrip) and Blade of the immortal ep03 (which the raw delayed … we will release on 480p if till Saturday the 576p is not out)

so this is the story…."

THIS is what is happening to our fansub community. One site that posts streaming anime is now getting props from an anime production company, but it is going to cost fans money in order to download that subbed anime, which we prefer. A fansub group is holding talks with producers in the anime industry, which leaves us to assume that once again, downloading subbed anime will cost the fans money.
    See > [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last night, episode 71 of Naruto Shippuuden was uploaded, and in less than 30 seconds from the time it was reverted to public after upload, it was removed. I literally had to stay up an extra hour and a half continuously clicking on 'private' on the 'edit video' screen just to make sure that it wasn't removed again.

So what happens to all the anime that does not get endorsements to be subbed or streamed? Us fans will lose out all the way around!

While no one person has all the answers on how to make this work for everyone involved, the best we can do here is let everyone who reads this know that we upload our anime to MegaVideo and set it to 'private'. Then we only post it within the forum for 'members only' to view.

I understand that forums seek out new members in order to grow, but if there is no more subbed anime in which to view, how many members will we have if we have nothing left to offer?

*TsuBasa*
    S-Class
    S-Class

Post by *TsuBasa* on Sat 16 Aug 2008, 3:13 am

Wow, Kyo.
    This really is becoming a crisis for us sub fans. It's ridiculous. It seems that licensed anime distributors have started being a lot more strict....ever since Death Note anme, I think. Death Note was the first anime I'd seen that caused a Cease and Desist notice to a fansub group. I'm sure everyone remembers how anxious Viz was to get in on the Death Note profits, allowing fans to purchase the episodes online subbed by them as they were released.
    It's just becoming too much. It's gotten to the point where I'm a little anxious about starting a new series. What if another C&D order comes about and I never get to finish a series---blah.

Well, we may just have to either learn japanese and move to japan to see all our latest anime or learn japanese and sub it ourselves. @.@
    Hmm, either way it seems our backup plan involves learning another language...
    *TsuBasa*
    S-Class
    S-Class

Fans Killing Fansub Industry

Post by *TsuBasa* on Sat 16 Aug 2008, 4:06 am

After doing some random seraching on AnimeNewsNetwork I discovered this article:
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

It was a very interesting read, to say the least. And it seems that Dattebayo's poll finished in time to include into this poll.
    I like that these two anime distributor forms are speaking and trying to come to some sort of agreement. The fact that the fansubbers are out there speaking for us sub fans puts a lot of relief in my thoughts.
    It's a start, a very slow one, but it's also a comforting one. I may not be part of that 30% who will never spend money on anime, but I am part of that 40% that likes to see it and know i like it before i buy it.
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Crack-down on Fansubbing Occurring?

Post by Kyouri Kai on Sat 16 Aug 2008, 9:54 am

Unfortunately, I'm relatively new to this subbed anime business, so I didn't know about the C&D order pertaining to Death Note. The thought that Viz decided to sub it and distribute it themselves makes me wince, since their subbing is censored.

Shounen Jump, who used to simply translate, is now watering down their translations because 'oh no.. we can't have our children reading such things'... even though they say such things on a daily basis when the parents aren't around. I have the first chapter of Naruto in the American Shounen Jump magazine and it was down to the detail.. Naruto flipping off Iruka, and the foul language to go right along with it. But that was 2001. In 2003 the industry changed and took things out of context in order to appease the American censoring mongers. That is why fans enjoy fans subbing and translating the Japanese anime and manga: it's more real.

Again, I understand, business' are into making money, in order to stay in business.. but how much money are the real subbers.. fans.. making? Nothing! And they seem to be able to sub a whole lot more anime, and translate a whole lot more manga, than Viz or Shounen could ever think about.

Besides.. there is anime and manga out there that the American side of this industry would never touch, that us fans thoroughly enjoy. There has to be a real solution that won't cost the fans that sub, or the fans that watch/read, everything they own in order to enjoy this growing trend of entertainment. *sigh*

But yes.. learning Japanese does seem the best way to go! I have photoshop and WMM down, if someone else wishes to translates. Oh, and of course, we will need someone to get a hold of raw manga. I'd be more than happy to help contribute to the fans.

Last edited by Kyouri on Sat 16 Aug 2008, 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Fans Killing Fansub Industry

Post by Kyouri Kai on Sat 16 Aug 2008, 10:13 am

LOL...

"Heiskell also predicted that, as video streaming technology evolves, and is accepted by more and more people, Japanese anime producers will come to embrace it. Within two years, he predicted, it may not be uncommon to see anime that are created in Japan, subtitled in English by Japanese companies directly, and then streamed worldwide."

That's it! The only thing the American industries are worried about is $$$$$! If the Japanese, who apparently embrace the idea of the world loving their anime, subs the shows as they air in Japan.. *ahem* Gonzo.. then the American industries will lose out. Suits me fine.. so long as we can still download the subbed eps, too.

"...Heiskell also revealed that his company had recently been retained by the Japanese anime production house d-rights to "pre-emptively" take down fansubs of a slate of anime that have currently aired in Japan, including Nabari no Ou, Hitman Reborn, Bamboo Blade, Monochrome Factor, and Cazador de la Bruja. He emphacized, however, that Funimation does not hold a license to distribute any of these, and in fact, may not necessarily end up licensing all of these series." emphasis added

And that is another concern! Funimation, Viz, whomever, will not bring to us fans the anime that we find so compelling.

"The final question to the panel asked the speakers to think about how they would like to see the North American anime industry change to best work towards a harmonious relationship with fansubbers and fans. The answers, from vaarious of the fansubbers, were to continue developing and perfecting new distribution models for anime, embrace the Blu-Ray format more fully, and stop editing anime for American release. "I don't like Americanization on my DVD's. I can handle Japanese culture," one of them stated, to much applause from the audience." emphasis added

YES!

There were other things that were said in this article that simply lead to one thing... money in the pockets of the American industries. That is exactly what is wrong with this damn country in the first place... 'give us money and we'll turn out an inferior product for you, and you will either like it, or do without!'

Thanks for the update, Tsu. This was an 'enlightening' tid-bit of an article.

Last edited by Kyouri on Sat 16 Aug 2008, 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Post by Kyouri Kai on Sat 16 Aug 2008, 10:20 am

"Fans Killing Fansub Industry" thread merged with "Crack-down on Fansubbing Occurring?" thread.

Re-titled to "Crack-down on Fansubs [Updated]"

*TsuBasa*
    S-Class
    S-Class

Post by *TsuBasa* on Sat 16 Aug 2008, 3:46 pm

Well, just give me a couple years and maybe then I'll know enough Japanese to get by a subbing. LOL

And I"m glad you found it a good read, Kyo.
    I would love it if Japanese anime producers could stream their anime already subbed by them--the creators for us to watch as it airs. But I also agree with you, I would want to still download the subbed version. And also, we gotta remember there is still a world of "American o-tacos" here that don't even know this fansubbing world exists! They are perfectly happy with their censored, horribly dubbed (most often at least) anime. So licensed dubbed anime will probably always have an audience---but i'm sure year by year that audience is decreasing. So many others are finding anime forums and coming to terms with "Fansub? What's a fan---sub? Huh? Japanese? Cool..."

LOL, that's pretty much how it went with me. And I became hooked, hearing the natural flow of the japanese voice over and especially the uncut content and japanese culture.

Either way, I think Dattebayo did an awesome job representing the fans. LivEEvil and Shinsen Subs did great too. Even if this non-profitable industry gets taken underground, sub fans will find it.

Oh, and as far as the Death Note releases goes, Kuro-Hana fansubs was subbing it as it was released over a year ago. Suddenly at episode 35 Viz, already licensing Death Note, sent KH subs a Cease and Desist order, meaning they had to stop distribution and subbing the anime....of couse this was only to KH subs.
    The next week a mysterious fansub group named simply C&D released episode 36. Hehe. The opening credits were hilarious, even went as far as to say: "Raw provider: Viz". Pretty scandalous stuff. And then of course episode 37 was released by another fansub group: WWAHFDNTVFUAUAWGR. (we were all happy fansubbing death note til viz f*cked us all up and we got revenge)
    Either way, the point is fansubs didn't stop...they continued. Dattebayo was 100% right on that. They may stop, but others will still continue...and, yes, there were some others who released DN, but it was inferior to the quality fans had been receiving.
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Post by Kyouri Kai on Sun 17 Aug 2008, 7:25 pm

I went back and viewed the 78 minute video of the panel discussion, and I have to admit that some decent points were raised. However, it seemed to me, that GetFresh from Shinsen Subs was the one that was most forthcoming and honest. Yaoiboy wasn't too far behind, he just didn't speak much.. although his putting up copies of the hentai he's subbed was hilarious! The guys from Dattebayo... they actually surprised me. I was expecting at least a modicum of the same tone we read about on their website, but at times Interactii almost sounded like he would be willing to sell out to the industry.. almost.

While at first glance it appeared the panel was a success, after going back over it in my mind, I don't think anything was accomplished other than the fansubbers and fans getting the industry .. by that I mean FUNimation and Media Blaster (mainly MB).. to say they won't harass the fansubbers, which is by no means a bad thing to get accomplished.

I did notice that Heiskell skirted the actual answer to the question of the industry using the popularity of fansubbed anime, pursuant to downloads, in order to raise their own profit margin by hiking the prices of the dvd's. To me, that was an obvious 'why yes... yes we do'.

Overall.. it was an okay discussion in my opinion, but not much got accomplished outside of what I already pointed out. Again, that's just my opinion.

Now more close to home here, is that I did sort of whince when they were talking about how fans pay 5$ to join a site just so they can view anime, when that anime was free to steal and sub, free to download, and then free to upload and post. I agree with the industry, as did the fansubbers, that it isn't right for forums to do that, especially when they aren't giving a dime back to the creators of that anime. Now I know that those site leaders will start spouting off how they are only using that money to pay for servers, but if it weren't for the stolen property they are posting, they wouldn't need those servers. So if they wish to post illegal anime, and manga, for fans to view, then the charge should be on them, not the fans, unless they put ALL that money back to the creators of the anime they are streaming... which is something I'd love to do! And once again, just my opinion.

With that said, it also started to bother me more and more that even some of our own members, while not necessarily paying to watch their anime on other sites, is frequenting those sites that post their anime openly.. publicly. That is what got this whole fiasco started in the first place. As for me, I won't ever watch anime on a site that does not at least require a free membership in which to view. Believe it or not, there are alot of people that don't like to sign up for stuff.. even if it's just a site where all you are going to do is watch anime or read manga and not have to get involved in any other way. Hell, if we had new members just coming here to watch the anime and then leave, I would probably go so far as to make a post requirement before someone could view it. That's just how much I wish to keep our anime as free a possible while at the same time, helping to slightly curb the pirating... but only slightly, as I'm one of those that loves anime but cannot afford to buy every single anime I love on dvd.

P.S. I think it's actually sad that no more of our members have chimed in on this, as it is all about the anime they watch. confused

*TsuBasa*
    S-Class
    S-Class

Post by *TsuBasa* on Tue 19 Aug 2008, 1:52 am

*sigh* i suppose not much did get accomplished when you put it that way. Again, i haven't been able to watch the video yet....maybe on Saturday...but until then i will be busy from 8:30 to 10pm. I didn't get home until close to 10:30 tonight and after showering--by the time i knew it, it was already 11:30. Gotta wake up at 7:30 tomorrow. Blah....It is fun, though. I hadn't realized how much i missed marching and playing...

anyway, i'm getting off topic...
    i've seen that treatment at forums...mostly site will give you a taste of a few free episodes, and after joining a premium status you can gain access to stream/download many more series. That same thought does make me wince as well. It is completely unjustified. I would mostly want some kind of contribution to the japanese anime producers....ONLY.
    And i agree with the post count there, kyo. That'd be a good idea, as we are quickly gaining more and more anime streams to our site. Soooooo many i wanna watch...

Hmmm, it is a bit sad that the others haven't commented as well....
    c'mon guys! voice that opinion. u don't want all our anime to become americanized and expensive do you?!
    stan_da_man
    S-Class
    S-Class

Post by stan_da_man on Tue 19 Aug 2008, 3:12 am

The only reason I haven't voiced my opinion is because I haven't had the chance to see the entire video. But this week, I'm not working, so I will watch it in it's entirety.
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Post by Kyouri Kai on Tue 19 Aug 2008, 10:31 am

This subject is really hitting the anime world as a whole, pretty hard right now. It's affecting the creators, the producers, the fansubbers, the fans, and the 3rd party industry. Right now, Lance Heiskell is the most disliked human being in the anime world. A spot I'm sure he's not too upset being in, as he does seem to appreciate being the little man carrying the big stick.

I've read some ideas on other boards about boycotting FUNimation, and of course, opposition to that. I agree, boycotting a company that is mostly to blame for destroying the 'industry' should occur. All those people that start whining about how they won't be able to get their anime anymore if they don't purchase it from FUNimation, need to realize they are being no better than the industry itself... thinking only of themselves.

If FUNimation no longer existed, just like in the world of fansubbing, another group will come along and take its place. It's already taking years before FUNimation gets around to screwing up our beloved anime, and then, if we are lucky, we may get to see 2/3 of an entire series... still Americanized, non-the-less.

If FUNimation no longer existed, who would be left to send out notices to fansub groups to drop anime they don't even have rights to? It would force the Japanese producers to do something for themselves. In this particular case, I would not at all be surprised to learn that FUNimation contacted d-rights, and NOT the other way around. And we already know that the Japanese production company, Gonzo, is actually trying to bridge the gap between the creators who mainly don't do this for the money but for their own love of anime and to appease the fans who also love anime, and the fans. FUNimation can NEVER do that because they do not actually produce a single anime!!! THAT is what the opposers to boycotting FUNimation need to realize. The actual production of ALL anime (Japanese) is done in Japan, looooong before some American company buys the rights to a product that was already done... properly.

*sigh* Anyway, it comes down to this... I am willing to continue to watch subbed anime subbed by fansub groups. And if we were to ever get any donations of any kind, I would personally send ALL the money back overseas to the producers and creators of the anime we stream on our site, with a great big thank you note from all of A~D!

Now how to solve the problem of the people that 1) do not know about online subbed anime, and 2) have no access to any anime outside of Cartoon Network...

The Japanese production companies, instead of paying to place their show on the air, like they apparently have to do in Japan (still looking into that one), will actually get paid to place their show on the air in America... just like FUNimation does or at this future point, did. The network recoups its money from the advertisers that pay to place their ads on the network. Besides, CN has already started other networks, like Boom-a-rang, so starting a network that is all about anime would be a huge profit for them. And like one other person stated on another board, if a child is too young to read the subtitles, then that child is probably too young to be viewing that particular anime, anyway.

Bottom line... completely cut out the cut-throat money-hungry American middle-man and keep Japanese anime, Japanese!

P.S. a partial reason some of the episodes on CN are edited to cut scenes, is to make time for the ads.

Overall, I think I've finally got it all out of my system. I'm done ranting now. bad mood

stan_da_man
    S-Class
    S-Class

Post by stan_da_man on Tue 19 Aug 2008, 12:36 pm

Well, concerning the problem of people who don't know about online subbed anime..they might come from families that can not afford cable and high speed internet. Then there are people who have neither of the two. Also, they could just have high speed internet, but they had never heard of subbed anime, so they don't look it up.
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Post by Kyouri Kai on Tue 19 Aug 2008, 1:24 pm

Mhmm... precisely. Like me, we have high speed internet, but do not have cable or satellite. I only know of CN because my father has it. It's not that everyone in the world should know about anime, it's just that those that already do, what is the solution for them if the American production companies, like FUNimation, no longer exist and there is no longer any access to online fansubs.

Again, I didn't see a huge breakthrough in the panel discussion because there are still gaps that need attending to. Until those gaps can be filled, it will end up with fansubbing becoming so illegal that prosecution begins, and companies like FUNimation end up making a killing in the money market... all the while slaughtering the anime we fans love.

*TsuBasa*
    S-Class
    S-Class

Post by *TsuBasa* on Wed 20 Aug 2008, 1:46 am

just wanna say i love that idea, kyo, about sending any donated money to the actual creators. It would be awesome and would definitely send the right message to the actual makers themselves...

a boycott...wow....
    well, i'm not against it at all. i guess i was having a hard time realizing how serious these money mongrels are becoming...
    An all subbed anime channel would be so ideal...

and a lot of my friends had cable and high speed internet as well....(my anime loving friends), but they just didn't know that subbed anime existed. They preferred dubbed. *wince*
    I eventually showed them a bit of it and they started downloading as well...

there's lots of answers taht could come of this sticky situation with FUNimation...it's just a question as to how far are we as fans and the fansubbers willing to go? I want my japanese culture filled uncut anime...spoken in japanese tongue....
    nadl1248
    shinmai

Post by nadl1248 on Wed 20 Aug 2008, 2:18 am

I do hope FUNimation will stop their 'war' against fansubers, though I doubt they will. There is too much money involved. If I remember correctly, some naruto videos on youtube recieved millions of views. Thats potentially millions of dollars, if one charges only a dollar per view.

This conflict reminds me of Napster and the record companies. I hope the authors of the manga and the creators of anime side with the fans, not the corporations. Do the makers of the anime or manga receive money from distribution of their product in America? If FUNimation does pay them, I fear they will side with FUNimation like how many artists sided with the record companies.

The efforts to stop the distribution of media by FUNimation and other corporations is analogous to stopping the rising tides. Unless they change how the internet works, it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to prevent the distribution of copyrighted media. Stopping fans from distributing fansubs is even more difficult, since the 'quality' of the 'illegal' media is superior to the corporation-produced media. So, regardless of FUNimation's actions, anime will always be available for free. FUNimation should instead focusing on pleasing the fans, encouraging to buy from them instead of alienating them. A company that removes all compeditors can also be known as a monopoly.

I do hope that FUNimation will either realize their fault and help the fans, or simply roll over and die, which ever is fastest. I doubt they will do either without a significant blow to their pocketbooks.
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Post by Kyouri Kai on Wed 20 Aug 2008, 9:40 am

You raised a very good and valid point, one that is illegal in the US... the monopoly. Just how many companies are there in the US that have their hands on the popular copyrighted material from Japan? I know Media Blasters was present at the panel discussion, but even they admitted that they download fansubs for the scripts, and because they enjoy the anime, but it's also due to them not getting in on the higher end anime that pays out the most dividends at the end of the week because they prefer to remain a small company and only deal with the anime the isn't so popular to the big guys.. like FUNimation.

I'm also not quite sure just how much the actual creator of a story receives once it's gone into animation production, from the sale of the anime itself. I know they receive a stipend on the sale of merchandise and their manga, but if it's like the US, they probably don't receive much in the line of the actual anime itself, that money goes back into the production companies, I think.

Unfortunately, I don't think FUNimation is going to realize their fault in this until it is pointed out to them in the same manner in which they are attacking the fansubbers. The only good thing I can see coming out of this little fiasco that is currently going on, is that anime just might get some extra media exposure, like Napster did when the record companies, and the sell-out artists, bucked the fans. In the end, alot of those artists lost money because the fans felt their love of the music wasn't enough, it was all about the $_$.

Watari
    roku'dan
    roku'dan

Knowledge :

Post by Watari on Wed 20 Aug 2008, 5:08 pm

Hmmm I need to stop working so much so I can actually get caught up on this stuff, I was gone for a few months working in a remote site with no internet, you know how bad that is?! Anyway I'm going to have to watch the video when I get home, I wasn't aware there was a video Razz it took me 2 weeks just to get caught up on all my anime and all the stuff that has been ensuing over the past few months so now I can just get caught up on all the news an happenings.

I'm glad this thread exist because it has given me a great starting point on all the information and history behind the persumable snowball effect that's going to happen soon. I have to admit in a lot of the areas regarding the fan subbing history I'm pretty ignorant on, not by choice but because I wasn't involved in it at the time it happened so this is pretty much my first glance at what has been going on over the years and I have to say it's quite an interesting read

I am one of those people that can respect the artist for their work and have no problems paying the money for their work, but when it comes to anime it's hard because as it's been stated many times over here that to get anime worthy of my money it has to be just like the original, I hate when they censor crap, which is why I won't buy Anime here in the states.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content