Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!

Biden vs. Palin

Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Biden vs. Palin

Post by Kyouri Kai on Tue 09 Sep 2008, 8:58 pm

This is the most historic presidential race in U.S. history. On the one side we have a dark-skinned man running for president, and on the other side, we have a female that just might actually see the presidency due to the age of her mate who is running for president.

Aside from the historical factors comes an issue that sort of pisses me off...

First, Gov. Palin, Republican, of Alaska is a mother of 5 children. Her youngest child has Downs Syndrome. Then on the other side, is Senator Joe Biden, Democrat. Here's what gets me:

Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden riled up John McCains campaign Tuesday when he suggested that if Republicans are so concerned with special needs children, theyd support embryonic stem cell research.

Speaking to voters in Columbia, Mo., Biden said: I hear all this talk about how the Republicans are going to work in dealing with parents who have both the joy, because theres joy to it as well, the joy and the difficulty of raising a child who has a developmental disability, who were born with a birth defect. Well guess what folks? If you care about it, why dont you support stem cell research?
    ~FoxNews.com

Now, the question I have is, why wouldn't a mother of a child with a birth defect want stem cell research done? It would seem only logical, wouldn't it? Then, if you look at the actual issue of stem cell research, one could also fairly ask, since a mother of a child with a birth defect does not wish to support stem cell research, could there be a reason?

I realise this campaign is supposed to be about the presidential candidates and their platforms, as they are the ones that we are actually voting for, not their vice running mates. Well, I say that it's just as important to know who the running mates are because they are literally only one heart beat away from becoming president if their lead mate wins the election.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this years Vice Presidential debate. which will be held on Oct. 2.

What are some of your stances on the vice presidential nominees for 2008?

Last edited by Kyouri on Wed 10 Sep 2008, 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : my spelling sucks)
    KnucklesG
    hachi'dan
    hachi'dan

Re: Biden vs. Palin

Post by KnucklesG on Tue 09 Sep 2008, 9:15 pm

Palin is a good Governor which all people can admit, but we can do
    better. Palin doesn't want to support Stem cell research when her child
    has down syndrome, She has been idolized by many by fixing Alaska govt.
    Joe Biden has been criticized by many because he critized Obama. but
    isn't it better to have 2 minds with different view than just 1 single
    view? Also Biden has way more experience than Palin but experience
    isn't everything. Also Biden votes yes for abortion because if you
    abolish abortion you will have alot of dead teens/adults trying to do
    illegal abortions there's no way around it. Also Palin is just like
    Mccain, she thinks the Economy will work itself out? Cmon we can't keep
    the people with the same thoughts as Bush in the White House.
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Post by Kyouri Kai on Tue 09 Sep 2008, 9:57 pm

Your last sentence, KG, sounds like Obama's platform. We also cannot keep people in the government that have never crossed party lines all because it's the other party. Personally, I think Obama would be in a much better position now, had he chosen Senator Evan Bayh over Biden. Knowing Bayh, since I'm from Indiana, he would have given Palin a much better run for her money than Biden will. Also, if Obama is all about 'change', why then did he chose a VP candidate that has so much political experience? Political experience isn't all about how many years one has been in Washington D.C. While knowledge of the affairs of the U.S. are vitally important, it is due to all those 'experienced' politicians and the 'democratically' controlled congress as to why we are where we are today.

The president only has so much power. Bush, in my opinion, is not a very good president, nor would Gore have been. Hence why I haven't ever voted all: no candidate has ever been worthy of my vote. Anyway, placing blame on the president for all the ills of a nation is kinda near sighted, when it is congress that can actually override a president's veto power. It's congress that writes the bills and laws, not the president. It's congress that balances the budget, not the president. And yes, as for the war issue... that is the job of the president. Whether we agree with it or not, the people have done nothing to impeach him from office for the continued war.. and last I checked, this was a nation ran by the people. So complaining about things and doing nothing about it, or complaining about the wrong people, is not working.

Now, you did raise an issue regarding Palin questioning what the VP does. However, I've yet to see a 'full' interview with her, as they're all cut-off right after she asks that. Which again, is near-sightedness. But.. given what little people have heard, it does make sense why people are questioning her ability to become VP if she doesn't even know what the position holds.

If you really think about it, tho. She was asked that prior to the announcement that she would be McCain's running mate. Perhaps to keep the element of surprise? Worked as far as I can tell.

Again, I hold no preference over one candidate over another. I have not heard any of them speak in any situation without being cut off, or without having their words quoted in articles, completely out of context. I will hold my thoughts until after I've heard the candidates speak... not the media speaking for them.
    Watari
    roku'dan
    roku'dan

Knowledge :

Post by Watari on Tue 09 Sep 2008, 11:26 pm

Ok so tonight I have heard a lot of stuff against Palin and really I have to think "does one actually look to both sides of a story before speaking or do they take what they hear?" Really it seems that a lot of people will take what they hear and not give it a second thought, which really makes me a sad panda because I really hold a high hope for society to actually do the research before talking.

A point was brought up that Palin abuses her power, well lets look at this right quick because it seems that people are jumping to conclusions before the investigation is even cleared. So Palin is under scrutiny in her home state over the firing of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan, critics and Monegan himself are saying Palin fired Monegan over the issue of her Trooper Brother-in-law Trooper Mike Wooten. Well (look here for an article on Mike Wooten) this article says that Palin never fired Monegan over Wooten, it was her aid that was prying about Wooten! As you'll also note in the article that is states there was a trooper investigation into Wooten in 2005 and ended in 2006, Palin has only been governor or Alaska since 2006. Monegan had a tough job to fill, he was responsible for keeping the state trooper positions filled (in Alaska we need a lot of state troopers) and he failed to do so, Palin and Monegan argued over budget issues in regards to this matter and that is why Palin let him go. Until the Investigation is over with what we are stuck with are a lot of words that mean nothing with out the facts to back them up, so far Palin would lead this game because she has numbers to show that Monegan hasn't fulfilled his duty, Monegan has said there are emails from Palin in regards to this matter but no one has seen the emails yet so it's hearsay. Either way we will have to wait until the subpoenas are handed out (and yes Palin is not expected to be subpoenaed as of yet)

The one major case in point I don't agree with Palin on is her stance on creationism, this will sever her ties with a lot of people in this country that believe that religion and public education should be separate, me being one of those people that severely believe in that, if you believe in something, great but leave it out of your politics and out of the politics of the people, we're suppose to be a free country and Christianity is a major player in politics and I don't think that's right, I will vote for the guy that has no religious affiliation and the person that will stand up for the people, who's willing to take cuts himself to make sure the people he serves are at least content.

Her stance on abortion is pretty typical of a republican, they really hold their family values and Christian lifestyles way up there and that generally reflects in their politics and as for stem cell research, I can't really find a stance that she has on that, that is public at least, but I would have to say that since she is anti-abortion she would probably be against stem cell research mostly because it seems the 2 go hand in hand, people seem to think to do stem cell research you'll need to have an aborted fetus, I'm not very knowledgeable on topic of stem cell research so I'm just going off of what I have read in the past. But I would agree you would think if it is for the better of the people that people in a political place should be pushing for it, but they won't and here is my theory on it, stem cell research can help prevent and cure diseases that affect millions of people today and to be quite hones I think the church has so much to do with, religious leaders that want to see anything that goes against "gods" work destroyed and stem cell research would definitely do that.

All in all though aside from Palins belief, she has done a lot of good for Alaska as a Governor, she helped clean up the corruption that was swarming throughout state senate (I think 5 or 6 state senators were convicted or charged on corruption charges) and right now we have Senator Ted Stevens being indicted for Corruption charges (not related to what Palin has done but still), she has cut useless spending (fired a chep at the governor mansion, sold a plane bought by the Murkowski administration, cut funding to projects that served no purpose and has been a front runner for increasing oil production to help with cost of heating homes in Alaska) she also proposed a bill for Alaska to give each person who was received a PFD this year an addition $1,200 to help with high energy cost (good thought but unfortunately people are just going to spend it on big screen TV's and other useless junk they don't need)

As for her take on the economy, well I agree action needs to be taken and I'm sure once we hear what she has to say in the upcoming VP debates we'll find her ultimate take on the economy, I can tell you from what she's done in Alaska, she won't stand for "it will fix itself" attitude she will be the front runner in getting things in motion, I'm almost willing to bet that if they do get into office you will see more of Palin than you will of McCain.

I don't know much on Biden so I will do some research on him but I will also wait till the VP debates to make a formal opinion on him.

Last edited by Watari on Tue 09 Sep 2008, 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar errors :P)
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Post by Kyouri Kai on Tue 09 Sep 2008, 11:51 pm

I don't wish to stray off topic here, especially since there is already a topic on stem cell research, but... embryonic stem cell research has yielded no results in the medical field as of yet, to help cure any illnesses whatsoever. There is another, safer method of stem cell research that has shown to actually help regrow limbs. Embryonic stem cell research also uses the stem cells of aborted fetus' before they are actually dead. Which means, they are born for the sake of science and then tossed out with the garbage. And if you think that's all talk, then take a look back at Congresswoman Julia Carson (D) IN, and her record in voting against the killing of babies in hospitals in Chicago. (A nurse who was given an infant just after an abortion, and directed to take it to the basement for disposal found that there were still live infants in the pile and that they were just left there to die.) The information regarding the lack of anything helpful with embryonic stem cell research actually comes from the scientist in charge of embryonic stem cell research, so... I'm against it.

Now... back on topic.

That's alot of useful information, Watari, and especially helpful coming from someone that lives in Palin's home state. I agree that people tend to take things out of context and end up believing little bits and pieces instead of waiting for the whole story, and that is sad to think it is people like that... in large part the media... that even have the right to vote. But.. that's democracy for ya.

As for any real issues between the parties, again, I will wait to hear what the candidates say on Oct. 2, at least as far as the VP nominees go, before I will even venture to think I could make an 'informed' decision. And like you, I don't know much about Biden except for:

McCain has served full active duty in the military, 2 of his sons are serving full active duty, and he has a 3rd son in Naval Academy. Palin's son is serving full active duty in the Army. Biden's son however, is merely an Attorney in the Reserves. LOL And before anyone starts jumping the gun... I'm not condemning the Reserves... just the attorney part. Just how much better can he serve his nation as an Attorney in the Reserve military than those in full active duty on the lines?

*EDIT:
    P.S. Found this video on YouTube. It's from the CBS YouTube page and it's 19 minutes long. The description CBS gives is:

"In Full": Sarah Palin, governor of Alaska, speaks at a GOP rally in Dayton, Ohio following her introduction by John McCain as his pick for vice president. That's CBS saying "in full", not me.

Here's the video:

And in response to KG's statement that McCain will be another Bush in office... this is another CBS YouTube video. (approx. 12 minutes) The description CBS gives is:

John McCain not only attacked the Democrats during his acceptance speech, but berated the GOP saying it had "lost its way." McCain tells Bob Schieffer what he plans to do to bring about c...

Here's the video:

To remain fair and balanced.. lol.. after searching, I also found a joint interview with Obama and Biden on CBS. The description CBS gives is :

In their first interview together as running mates, Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. Joseph Biden discuss their roles and strategies for the upcoming presidential election. Steve Kroft reports.

Here's the video:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content