Anime∙Dohyou
Please sign in to access your account or reply to posts. If you are not a member, you may still view and enjoy the majority of the site, but why not register? It's free!

No more cell phones???

Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

No more cell phones???

Post by Kyouri Kai on Fri 06 Nov 2009, 7:29 am

Ripped from yet another Yahoo Tech post...

We're running out of wireless spectrum
    Thu Nov 5, 2009 7:57PM EST

We're running out of wired bandwidth and the Internet is going to die. We all know that.

But now comes the doom-and-gloom revelation that we're also running out of wireless spectrum for our cordless communications.

One investment firm even put an expiration date: By 2015, we'll be in a "crisis" condition when it comes to wireless communications.

The reason should be obvious: Devices like the iPhone have turned consumers into mobile data junkies, and they're gobbling up wireless services like they're going out of style. (Cisco says wireless data traffic will double every year from hear on out, to 66 times the current level by the time we hit 2013.) That's going to force the major carriers to have to seriously expand the spectrum they use if they want to keep services up and running. Both Verizon and AT&T control about 80MHz of spectrum today; by 2015 they'll need up to 720MHz of spectrum to keep customers happy.

And yet, there's really no spectrum for them to have.

What will Verizon, AT&T, and their ilk do about this issue? Strategies are scarce but range from attempting to offload cellular traffic to Wi-Fi networks to delaying upgrades to next-generation technologies. There's also the prospect of simply begging for more spectrum from the FCC, but the commission is notoriously stingy on such matters.

Bottom line for consumers: Get ready for some wireless hurtin' come 2015. If the apocalypse in 2012 doesn't get us first, that is...
    http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/154440/were-running-out-of-wireless-spectrum/

I suppose somehow someone will come along and find a way to blame this on Obama, too...
    Lrules364
    go'dan
    go'dan

Re: No more cell phones???

Post by Lrules364 on Fri 06 Nov 2009, 12:37 pm

never listen to what people say, always believe what you want to believe. I think this guy is nuts for even trying to post this, let alone getting responses like "the world is going to end". The world will not end for another 2-5 billion years when the sun explodes and goes supernova. (i dont know if it will turn into a black hole or not.) But still, this is just like the Y2K scare that went on for years. its just a bunch of retards spreading rumors and stupid stuff again.
    KageSenko
    go'dan
    go'dan

Post by KageSenko on Fri 06 Nov 2009, 2:19 pm

lol the internet will never die

the wireless spectrum is pretty limitless... im not saying it is limitless im just saying that there are plenty of ways to get wireless signals...

maybe the world will end... maybe it wont... just live your life... dont let it end... (unknown author )

Marijane
    go'dan
    go'dan

Post by Marijane on Sun 08 Nov 2009, 11:01 am

Hmm, this is kinda interesting. I kinda think that with all the technology that we have today, that somehow, they will find a way to open up more room. I don't think that we will run outta space, but then again, it could very well happen. I really don't know how else to think on this one.....
    Kyouri Kai
    Founder

Knowledge :

Post by Kyouri Kai on Sun 08 Nov 2009, 12:07 pm

Personally, I'd like to see the amount of flights going in and out of our airports drop before they limit airspace for cell phones and the internet. With technology, the need for flights decreases, anyway, and in my personal opinion, people need to get back to finding things around their home to keep them entertained during their vacation time, or else slow down and drive to the destination, sometimes that's half the relaxing fun of taking a holiday away. *shrugs* But 'if' we run out of space for our cell phones and internet, then I guess be one of those that will frequent the library, my backyard, and perhaps another location more often. I might even have to rely on good old fashioned hard work to make a living. *points out all the sarcasm in this post / personally believes there should be a minimum age requirement or certified handicap before one can own a leaf or snow blower*

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content